iMac hibernation mode

Carl Hoefs
My friend got a new MacBook Air, and sent me his old iMac13,1 (21.5”, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, USB kbd/ms). I zeroed out the HDD and installed Sierra anew on it.

It has the problem of when it goes to sleep for more than 6 hours (or so), it goes into ‘hibernation' mode. It takes a click on the power button to get it to come back. But even then, it presents a hibernation wake screen, apparently restoring itself from the sleep image, like when you restart a MacBook that ran out of battery power: https://km.support.apple.com/library/content/dam/edam/applecare/images/en_US/osx/progress_bar_wake.png

I've set the following:
    % sudo pmset standby 0
    % sudo pmset autopoweroff 0

The above prevents it from going into hibernation mode. When it tries to, it simply wakes itself up again. So I’ve got it now in this cycle, light-sleeping then a full wake up, over & over on its own, every so many hours. Not normal.

The Energy Saver prefs are all set to their defaults. Could this be a dead mobo cell battery?

-Carl

Re: iMac hibernation mode

@lbutlr
On 22 Jan 2018, at 14:37, Carl Hoefs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>    % sudo pmset standby 0
>    % sudo pmset autopoweroff 0

You don't want the machine to go into standby mode and you don't want it to turn off. What are you expecting it to do? What do you have hibernatemode set to?

You can also set standbydelay to the number of seconds to wait before going into standby mode.

--
wrong.</div>But I'm not.</div>

Re: iMac hibernation mode

Carl Hoefs

> On Jan 23, 2018, at 2:35 AM, @lbutlr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 22 Jan 2018, at 14:37, Carl Hoefs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>   % sudo pmset standby 0
>>   % sudo pmset autopoweroff 0
>
> You don't want the machine to go into standby mode and you don't want it to turn off.
> What are you expecting it to do?

I just want it to sleep normally, and not ‘hibernate’, overnight.

> What do you have hibernatemode set to?

hibernate mode is set to 0.

> You can also set standbydelay to the number of seconds to wait before going into standby mode.
>
> --
> wrong.</div>But I'm not.</div>

Re: iMac hibernation mode

@lbutlr
On 23 Jan 2018, at 12:53, Carl Hoefs <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> You don't want the machine to go into standby mode and you don't want it to turn off.
>> What are you expecting it to do?
>
> I just want it to sleep normally, and not ‘hibernate’, overnight.
>
>> What do you have hibernatemode set to?
>
> hibernate mode is set to 0.

If all three are off and the machine is not going to sleep, then something is wrong. Either the machine is very confused, you are running something that prevents sleep, or something on your network is waking up your iMac.

--
For more than a thousand generations the Jedi were the guardians of
peace and justice in the galaxy. Before the dark times. Before the

Re: iMac hibernation mode

Carl Hoefs

> On Jan 23, 2018, at 5:59 PM, @lbutlr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 23 Jan 2018, at 12:53, Carl Hoefs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> You don't want the machine to go into standby mode and you don't want it to turn off.
>>> What are you expecting it to do?
>>
>> I just want it to sleep normally, and not ‘hibernate’, overnight.
>>
>>> What do you have hibernatemode set to?
>>
>> hibernate mode is set to 0.
>
> If all three are off and the machine is not going to sleep, then something is wrong. Either the machine is very confused, you are running something that prevents sleep, or something on your network is waking up your iMac.

Vanilla install of macOS Sierra on a blank HDD. No network. The problem is not that the machine isn’t going to sleep. It’s that when it does sleep, it goes into hibernation sleep, and has to restore itself from the sleep image upon wake (power button press).

-Carl

Re: iMac hibernation mode

Macs R We

> On Jan 23, 2018, at 6:02 PM, Carl Hoefs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Vanilla install of macOS Sierra on a blank HDD. No network. The problem is not that the machine isn’t going to sleep. It’s that when it does sleep, it goes into hibernation sleep, and has to restore itself from the sleep image upon wake (power button press).

Thank the Eurogreenies.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201635

Re: iMac hibernation mode

David Schwartz-11
On Jan 23, 2018, at 5:02 PM, Carl Hoefs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The problem is not that the machine isn’t going to sleep. It’s that when it does sleep, it goes into hibernation sleep, and has to restore itself from the sleep image upon wake (power button press).

With hibernatemode, standby, and autopoweroff all set to zero, the machine shouldn't even _have_ a sleep image.

From the man page:

FILES
     All changes made through pmset are saved in a persistent preferences file (per-system, not per-
     user) at /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

How about starting into Single User Mode and deleting (after copying/moving/renaming, as per your preference) that file.; maybe it's corrupted.

-david

Re: iMac hibernation mode

Carl Hoefs

> On Jan 23, 2018, at 6:13 PM, David Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Jan 23, 2018, at 5:02 PM, Carl Hoefs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The problem is not that the machine isn’t going to sleep. It’s that when it does sleep, it goes into hibernation sleep, and has to restore itself from the sleep image upon wake (power button press).
>
> With hibernatemode, standby, and autopoweroff all set to zero, the machine shouldn't even _have_ a sleep image.
>
> From the man page:
>
> FILES
>     All changes made through pmset are saved in a persistent preferences file (per-system, not per-
>     user) at /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist
>

> How about starting into Single User Mode and deleting (after copying/moving/renaming, as per your preference) that file.; maybe it's corrupted.

There is no /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist file on the system. I assume that means everything is defaulted? When I look on a normally operating iMac/Sierra system, hibernatemode, standby, and autopoweroff are all set to 0 there, too.

-Carl

Re: iMac hibernation mode

Carl Hoefs

> On Jan 23, 2018, at 6:13 PM, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 23, 2018, at 6:02 PM, Carl Hoefs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Vanilla install of macOS Sierra on a blank HDD. No network. The problem is not that the machine isn’t going to sleep. It’s that when it does sleep, it goes into hibernation sleep, and has to restore itself from the sleep image upon wake (power button press).
>
> Thank the Eurogreenies.
>
> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201635

But only this one iMac is affected. Is there a way to turn off Safe Sleep?

The time zone is set to PST - Cupertino, so it’s not because it thinks it’s in Europe...

-Carl

Re: iMac hibernation mode

@lbutlr
On 23 Jan 2018, at 18:13, David Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Jan 23, 2018, at 5:02 PM, Carl Hoefs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The problem is not that the machine isn’t going to sleep. It’s that when it does sleep, it goes into hibernation sleep, and has to restore itself from the sleep image upon wake (power button press).
>
> With hibernatemode, standby, and autopoweroff all set to zero, the machine shouldn't even _have_ a sleep image.

Exactly.

> How about starting into Single User Mode and deleting (after copying/moving/renaming, as per your preference) that file.; maybe it's corrupted.

That is a file that it makes zero sense to backup. But yes, this is a good idea.

Also, check pmset -g from single user mode.

--
I NO LONGER WANT MY MTV Bart chalkboard Ep. 3G02

Re: iMac hibernation mode

David Schwartz-11
On Jan 23, 2018, at 5:30 PM, Carl Hoefs <[hidden email]> noticed:

> There is no /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist file on the system.

Yep; looks as if Apple moved it up one folder.

-david

Re: iMac hibernation mode

Carl Hoefs

On Jan 23, 2018, at 6:13 PM, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 23, 2018, at 6:02 PM, Carl Hoefs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Vanilla install of macOS Sierra on a blank HDD. No network. The problem is not that the machine isn’t going to sleep. It’s that when it does sleep, it goes into hibernation sleep, and has to restore itself from the sleep image upon wake (power button press).

Thank the Eurogreenies.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201635

Yes, the above was a valuable clue!  It looks like the “Eurogreenies” are indeed at fault!

I just went, line by line, through all of the pmset -g settings, and I think I found the problem.

Somehow autopoweroff was set to 1.  autopoweroffdelay was set to 14400, which is 4 hours.

The man page says:

autopoweroff is enabled by default on supported platforms as an implementation of Lot 6 to the European Energy-
     related Products Directive. After sleeping for <autopoweroffdelay> seconds, the system will write a hibernation
     image and go into a lower power chipset sleep. Wakeups from this state will take longer than wakeups from regu-
     lar sleep.

I’ve now set autopoweroff to 0, and I will leave the system untouched overnight. This should restore some sanity.

-Carl

Re: iMac hibernation mode

David Schwartz-11
On Jan 23, 2018, at 6:27 PM, Carl Hoefs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’ve now set autopoweroff to 0

Yet the very first post in the thread claimed:

> I've set the following:
>    % sudo pmset standby 0
>    % sudo pmset autopoweroff 0

Did your initial use of the pmset tool fail to write the value properly?

Re: iMac hibernation mode

Carl Hoefs

> On Jan 24, 2018, at 7:18 AM, David Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Jan 23, 2018, at 6:27 PM, Carl Hoefs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I’ve now set autopoweroff to 0
>

> Yet the very first post in the thread claimed:
>
>> I've set the following:
>>   % sudo pmset standby 0
>>   % sudo pmset autopoweroff 0
>
> Did your initial use of the pmset tool fail to write the value properly?

Hmm, interesting point. I’m not sure what happened there, or if there’s something that set it  back.

Anyway, this morning, autopoweroff is still 0, and the machine woke normally! Hurrah!

Many thanks to all,
-Carl