easily create passwords and display time in different time zones

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

easily create passwords and display time in different time zones

Jean-Christophe Helary
First article/code of the year:

https://mac4translators.blogspot.jp/2018/01/passwords-and-time.html

Just a few lines of code to create a minimalistic password generator and a multiple time zone time display (not really a clock since it only shows the time when you call it).


Jean-Christophe Helary
-----------------------------------------------
@brandelune http://mac4translators.blogspot.com


_______________________________________________
MacOSX-talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: easily create passwords and display time in different time zones

Jean-Christophe Helary
Yes, and it's really been sent to the wrong list.

Apologies for that.

> On Jan 19, 2018, at 22:47, Jean-Christophe Helary <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> First article/code of the year:
>
> https://mac4translators.blogspot.jp/2018/01/passwords-and-time.html
>
> Just a few lines of code to create a minimalistic password generator and a multiple time zone time display (not really a clock since it only shows the time when you call it).
>
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary
> -----------------------------------------------
> @brandelune http://mac4translators.blogspot.com
_______________________________________________
MacOSX-talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: easily create passwords and display time in different time zones

Macs R We
Well, thanks anyway, I enjoyed it.

I still use the world clock widget.  In fact, I have to continually modify the Apple-distributed time zone files in every release to add a couple entries, such as Riga (Latvia), which is a capital city but still apparently doesn't rate a spot on Apple's radar.

It's also nostalgic to see such an emacs fan in this day and age.  I've been using it since 1978 and I still use it regularly to massage files output by other means.


> On Jan 19, 2018, at 7:10 AM, Jean-Christophe Helary <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, and it's really been sent to the wrong list.
>
> Apologies for that.
>
>> On Jan 19, 2018, at 22:47, Jean-Christophe Helary <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> First article/code of the year:
>>
>> https://mac4translators.blogspot.jp/2018/01/passwords-and-time.html
>>
>> Just a few lines of code to create a minimalistic password generator and a multiple time zone time display (not really a clock since it only shows the time when you call it).
>>
>>
>> Jean-Christophe Helary
>> -----------------------------------------------
>> @brandelune http://mac4translators.blogspot.com
> _______________________________________________
> MacOSX-talk mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-talk

_______________________________________________
MacOSX-talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: easily create passwords and display time in different time zones

Jean-Christophe Helary


> On Jan 20, 2018, at 0:39, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Well, thanks anyway, I enjoyed it.

:) I started it when Apple moved to Intel and we had all those "Hey I can run Windows on the machine" kind of translators who asked all sorts of questions totally unrelated to Macs but since they were on Macs they thought we had the answers. So I decided to start a list, and a blog. Then depression came, I stopped writing for a few years, and I resumed last autumn.

I thought it was funny that 10 years back I was writing that I had no use at all for AppleScript in my workflow and that now I could not live without AS, even though I had been on a Mac since 94.

So now I'm writing because that helps me learn, with the hope that some readers will be able to have some use for the code, or eventually start learning themselves.

It's interesting how automation is such an important feature of daily computing but there are still very few solutions for the standard computer user.

> I still use the world clock widget.  In fact, I have to continually modify the Apple-distributed time zone files in every release to add a couple entries, such as Riga (Latvia), which is a capital city but still apparently doesn't rate a spot on Apple's radar.

File a bug report :)

> It's also nostalgic to see such an emacs fan in this day and age.  I've been using it since 1978 and I still use it regularly to massage files output by other means.

I could not find a better XML editor/validator, thanks to nxml-mode. It just opens the files, finds the errors, lets you fix them and move on.

I could not find a way to do that in BBEdit, which I like a lot too. I learned regexp with it when Lite was still alive. I created the second book store HTML site in France thanks to it (1996, static thing with no cart or anything, just a simple web form to order).

So I use both, in fact I also use TextEdit a lot too. When I want to just write, I use my "pseudo" distraction free mode for TextEdit, when I want to code a bit I use emacs and when I want to do regex search/replace I use BBEdit.


Jean-Christophe Helary
-----------------------------------------------
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com @brandelune


_______________________________________________
MacOSX-talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: easily create passwords and display time in different time zones

Jean-Christophe Helary
(I suspect the reply was intended to be sent to the list...)

> On Jan 20, 2018, at 11:14, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I thought it was funny that 10 years back I was writing that I had no use at all for AppleScript in my workflow and that now I could not live without AS, even though I had been on a Mac since 94.
>
> I've used AppleScript maybe a half dozen times.  It's always a VERY PAINFUL process because there is really no good way to learn it

I could not agree more. But as you wrote, that's the only existing solution that works with Apple Events. So we're stuck.

Regarding the learning process, I've been through learning English, then Japanese, and I'm starting Chinese (planning to do Arabic one day, when I'm in a place where I can actually use it).

The only solution is to just write. Write until you feel like a native.

I think I had this discussion with Christopher Stone on ASUL about becoming a "native" writer. Most of us don't do automation everyday, so it is very hard to become fluent, just because of the sheer amount of quirks in the language. Because I was as frustrated as you, I decided to just bite the bullet. Everything I could automate, I'd write a script for that. The shortest are things like what I posted yesterday, but I have longer things that support my whole workflow. And I need to keep writing scripts so that the day I go back to maintaining my bigger scripts I actually understand what's written.

One thing is, it seriously looks like AS has very little future on the Mac, but I can't imagine Apple totally dumping automation, so I stick to AS until we know for sure what the future will be like and then I'll move on.


Jean-Christophe Helary
-----------------------------------------------
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com @brandelune


_______________________________________________
MacOSX-talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-talk