broken contact sync

Jeff Weinberger-3
This applies to mac and iOS devices, so I am cross-posting. I hope that is appropriate.

My contacts are not syncing. I am signed in to iCloud on three (relevant) devices: my iMac (OS/X 10.13.2), iPhone (6, iOS 11.2.2) and iPad (Air 2, iOS 11.2.2). I have made changes on all three devices over some time (I cannot tell for how long they have not synced).

I spot checked some recent changes and none of them appear in iCloud on the web when I sign in via a browser.

I obviously don't remember all of the changes, so I can't go back and recreate them.

I want to re-start syncing, but all the solutions posted involve signing out of iCloud on one or another device and then signing back in. This would cause me to either lose the changes I've made on that device or end up with massive numbers of duplicate contacts.

Is there any way to restart syncing without loss or duplication?

Any suggestions, help or direction is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: broken contact sync

Jeff Weinberger-3
On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 10:17 AM, Dave...Oregonian <[hidden email]> wrote:
First try rebooting all your devices, and then make sure that all have access to your Wi-Fi network.

Thanks! I've done this a few times. No results from rebooting. And yes, they are all on the same WiFi network. Still no luck.

Dave

Re: broken contact sync

Jeff Weinberger-3
On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 3:49 PM, Dave...Oregonian <[hidden email]> wrote:
When this happened to me, and I was also not able to fix it with the reboots, I considered that a Windows Update on my PC changed something in my Outlook operation.

I first tried to use iCloud on the PC to fix, and even re-entered my login. When that did not work, I finally did a restore to a point back in time before the problem started happening. That finally fixed it.

Not sure if you have that option with a Mac.

I can do a restore from a time machine backup on the mac, but then the changes I made on the mac would be lost. It would be the same outcome as signing out of iCloud and signing back in (and not keeping all the duplicates). I might end up doing this if I can't find a way to just restart the sync....

Thanks!

Dave

Re: broken contact sync

Macs R We
On Jan 22, 2018, at 5:02 PM, Jeff Weinberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 3:58 PM, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is just my experience, but when your Cloud account gets constipated, signing out and signing back in (sometimes with a reboot in the middle) is the only thing that will fix it in maybe 90% of the cases.  And yeah, this causes duplicated junk, but it's the price you pay for using Apple's buggy cloud service.

That makes sense. If I export and re-import, though, I'll lose my "groups" right?

If you export AS AN ARCHIVE, your groups are preserved but the import will only replace, not merge.  If you export as a group vCard, you can merge, but you won't preserve your groups.  In your case, the first option luckily happens to do what you want.

If you're worried about duplications in Contacts, just export your contacts as an "archive" before signing out of iCloud.  When you re-import them, it will inform you that it is replacing al previous contents.  This is often a good way to defeat the duplication demon.

Me, I avoid the cloud like the plague, because between these problems and privacy implications, I just don't find it worth it.

Do you use something else for contact sync? What? Id love an alternative….

iTunes and a lightning cable.  For backups, too.  It was good enough for my grandaddy, and it's good enough for me.  :-)