*&#@$ iOS

Macs R We
I (purposely) never transitioned from iPhotos to Photos.  Other than the entirely artificial, Apple-inflicted loss of the ability to delete iPhone photos after importing them into iPhoto (now I just do it by hand), everything has worked fine.

Recently, I took a 3:37 video with my iPhone, which doesn't sound long but is much longer than I am I the habit of taking.
,
Tonight, I plugged in my iPhone to the USB port and opened iPhoto to upload the photos.  iPhoto just says

Apple iPhone
New Photos        loading…

forever, and nothing else.  I figure, maybe it's the big video jamming the pipe somehow.

So I quit iPhoto and open Image Capture.  It says, "Please unlock 'Apple iPhone.'"  Note that the phone is NOT locked.

I've plugged and unplugged the cord, quit and relaunched both apps, started with the phone locked and unlocked, and rebooted the phone.  Nothing changes.  I've even deleted the unlock passcode from my phone so there isn't one… I still get the above messages.

One other detail that looks wrong here is that I'm pretty sure these apps used to identify the NAME of the phone (Macs R We's iPhone) instead of "Apple iPhone," but they aren't now.  I've verified on my iPhone that that is still the name of my iPhone.

Something evil is going on here, and I don't know where to stab it.

I did find an antique copy of DiskAid (for iPhone) in my Applications folder.  It didn't even recognize when the device was plugged in, but suggested I upgrade to the replacement package, iMazing.  iMazing detected the actual name of my phone, and let me export the photos to a folder.  It offered to delete the photos after downloading, and it thinks it's doing it, but nothing is happening.  Also, it transferred the video as .MOV, but iPhoto won't import it and QuickTime Player and QuickTime Player 7 both refuse to play it (VLC will play it, though).

Things are pretty punk when Apple's software screws the pooch completely, but a third-party package gets most of the job done.

Re: *&#@$ iOS

Andy Ringsmuth-2
> Something evil is going on here, and I don't know where to stab it.

Bad cable?

-Andy

Re: *&#@$ iOS

@lbutlr
On 08 Feb 2018, at 21:03, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Tonight, I plugged in my iPhone to the USB port and opened iPhoto to upload the photos.  iPhoto just says
>
> Apple iPhone
> New Photos        loading…
>
> forever, and nothing else.  I figure, maybe it's the big video jamming the pipe somehow.

iPhotos has not been updated in a long time and does not support the video format from you iPhone. It also looks like your Mac needs to be updated to the current version.

> Things are pretty punk when Apple's software screws the pooch completely

This is end-of-lifed software that has been replaced. It is unsupported. It does not work properly. It should not be used. Any problems you have with iPhoto are not Apple’s fault.

--
You know, Calculus is sort of like measles. Once you've had it, you
probably won't get it again, and you're glad of it. -- W. Carr

Re: *&#@$ iOS

Macs R We

> On Feb 8, 2018, at 11:47 PM, @lbutlr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 08 Feb 2018, at 21:03, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Tonight, I plugged in my iPhone to the USB port and opened iPhoto to upload the photos.  iPhoto just says
>>
>> Apple iPhone
>> New Photos        loading…
>>
>> forever, and nothing else.  I figure, maybe it's the big video jamming the pipe somehow.
>
> iPhotos has not been updated in a long time and does not support the video format from you iPhone. It also looks like your Mac needs to be updated to the current version.
>
>> Things are pretty punk when Apple's software screws the pooch completely
>
> This is end-of-lifed software that has been replaced. It is unsupported. It does not work properly. It should not be used. Any problems you have with iPhoto are not Apple’s fault.

And when I have precisely the same problems with Image Capture, which is fully supported, they are indeed Apple's fault.

Re: *&#@$ iOS

Macs R We
Give that man half a cigar.

I had my doubts it was a bad cable, since iTunes had no problems backing up and syncing my device during the same work session.  However, I tried another cable and it worked.  In short order, I discovered that the problem wasn't the cable, but the USB port on my Mac — both cables worked fine in the left one, and both cables failed in the right one.

Looks like I need to turn off the laptop, hit it with some contact cleaner and a q-tip, wait for it to dry, and reboot.  Hopefully either the reboot will reset the port or the cleaning will have a positive effect.

It's bizarre that a USB port could go back such that iPhoto and Image Capture would fail on it, and yet iTunes and iMazing would work with it.

Thanks for putting me on the right track.