Unknown User

Chris Walker
Hi:

When altering a folder’s permissions via ‘get info’ I noticed in the drop down menu a user “_fpsd” this one comes at the top of the list.  I can’t see any way to delete it and AFAICT this user doesn’t attach to anything, although I’m not sure how I could really know.

This user doesn’t appear in the sharing and privilege panel of anything I’ve checked so what is that about?  No account has been created with that user name, the guest account is switched off and Clam X and gatekeeper hasn’t reported anything.

Curious.

Chris

Re: Unknown User

@lbutlr
On 15 Dec 2017, at 01:22, Chris Walker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When altering a folder’s permissions via ‘get info’ I noticed in the drop down menu a user “_fpsd” this one comes at the top of the list.  I can’t see any way to delete it and AFAICT this user doesn’t attach to anything, although I’m not sure how I could really know.

User accounts with a leading _ are generally system level users, created for daemons and such.

The _fpsd user runs a couple of the iTunes daemon processes.

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreFP.framework/Versions/A/fps
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreADI.framework/adid

I think these only run when iTunes is active.

Not sure why they are showing up in the GUI, but it’s not something to be concerned about.

--
Apple broke AppleScripting signatures in Mail.app, so no random signatures.