Time Machine duplicates

Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C]
Hi,

I am running MacOSX 10.12.6 on a mid-2010 Mac Pro tower.  I just upgraded from Yosemite to Sierra, so that may be related.

I installed a "new" hard drive and dedicated it to Time Machine.  It's only been running for about a day.  I opened the Time Machine app today and, as usual, there are the tick marks along the right side of the screen that show when the various backups were performed (when the mouse hovers over a given tick mark).  Ideally the backups are about an hour apart.  In my case, there are pairs of tick marks with the same time listed.  That is, the last two tick marks show exactly the same time, the next two tick marks also show the exact same time (though an hour earlier), and so on.  I don't know if two backups are being performed each hour, or if the listing is just messed up.  Has anyone seen this?  Does anyone know how to fix it?  Is there some preference file somewhere that is messed up?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me,

Gregg

Re: Time Machine duplicates

Macs R We
Why not examine the folder hierarchy on your backup drive and inspect the individual folder names, which will tell you when each backup set was actually taken.  Then at least you will know which end of the process is misbehaving.

> On Mar 5, 2018, at 9:26 AM, Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am running MacOSX 10.12.6 on a mid-2010 Mac Pro tower.  I just upgraded from Yosemite to Sierra, so that may be related.
>
> I installed a "new" hard drive and dedicated it to Time Machine.  It's only been running for about a day.  I opened the Time Machine app today and, as usual, there are the tick marks along the right side of the screen that show when the various backups were performed (when the mouse hovers over a given tick mark).  Ideally the backups are about an hour apart.  In my case, there are pairs of tick marks with the same time listed.  That is, the last two tick marks show exactly the same time, the next two tick marks also show the exact same time (though an hour earlier), and so on.  I don't know if two backups are being performed each hour, or if the listing is just messed up.  Has anyone seen this?  Does anyone know how to fix it?  Is there some preference file somewhere that is messed up?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can give me,
>
> Gregg

Re: Time Machine duplicates

Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C]
That's a good idea.  I just checked and, based on the names of the folders, there appears to be only one per hour.  So, this suggests that the listing within the Time Machine app is reporting two backups per hour when in fact only one is being performed (or at least only one is being kept in the usual location).

Gregg

On 03/05/2018, 12:55 PM, "Macs R We" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Why not examine the folder hierarchy on your backup drive and inspect the individual folder names, which will tell you when each backup set was actually taken.  Then at least you will know which end of the process is misbehaving.

    > On Mar 5, 2018, at 9:26 AM, Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am running MacOSX 10.12.6 on a mid-2010 Mac Pro tower.  I just upgraded from Yosemite to Sierra, so that may be related.
    >
    > I installed a "new" hard drive and dedicated it to Time Machine.  It's only been running for about a day.  I opened the Time Machine app today and, as usual, there are the tick marks along the right side of the screen that show when the various backups were performed (when the mouse hovers over a given tick mark).  Ideally the backups are about an hour apart.  In my case, there are pairs of tick marks with the same time listed.  That is, the last two tick marks show exactly the same time, the next two tick marks also show the exact same time (though an hour earlier), and so on.  I don't know if two backups are being performed each hour, or if the listing is just messed up.  Has anyone seen this?  Does anyone know how to fix it?  Is there some preference file somewhere that is messed up?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help you can give me,
    >
    > Gregg

Re: Time Machine duplicates

Michael_google gmail_Gersten

On 2018-03-05, at 12:43 PM, Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's a good idea.  I just checked and, based on the names of the folders, there appears to be only one per hour.  So, this suggests that the listing within the Time Machine app is reporting two backups per hour when in fact only one is being performed (or at least only one is being kept in the usual location).

Do you have mobile backups?

> Gregg
>
> On 03/05/2018, 12:55 PM, "Macs R We" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>    Why not examine the folder hierarchy on your backup drive and inspect the individual folder names, which will tell you when each backup set was actually taken.  Then at least you will know which end of the process is misbehaving.
>
>> On Mar 5, 2018, at 9:26 AM, Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running MacOSX 10.12.6 on a mid-2010 Mac Pro tower.  I just upgraded from Yosemite to Sierra, so that may be related.
>>
>> I installed a "new" hard drive and dedicated it to Time Machine.  It's only been running for about a day.  I opened the Time Machine app today and, as usual, there are the tick marks along the right side of the screen that show when the various backups were performed (when the mouse hovers over a given tick mark).  Ideally the backups are about an hour apart.  In my case, there are pairs of tick marks with the same time listed.  That is, the last two tick marks show exactly the same time, the next two tick marks also show the exact same time (though an hour earlier), and so on.  I don't know if two backups are being performed each hour, or if the listing is just messed up.  Has anyone seen this?  Does anyone know how to fix it?  Is there some preference file somewhere that is messed up?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help you can give me,
>>
>> Gregg

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce

Re: Time Machine duplicates

Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C]
No, I do not do mobile backups with Time Machine.

When I first wrote about this odd behavior, there was an appearance of pairs of "simultaneous" backups through the day, but when I looked more recently, only the latest hourly backup had a duplicate entry.  If this does not extend throughout the entire backup list, then I guess I won't worry about it, though I still find it curious.

Thanks,

Gregg

    On 2018-03-05, at 12:43 PM, Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:

    > That's a good idea.  I just checked and, based on the names of the folders, there appears to be only one per hour.  So, this suggests that the listing within the Time Machine app is reporting two backups per hour when in fact only one is being performed (or at least only one is being kept in the usual location).

    Do you have mobile backups?

    > Gregg
    >
    > On 03/05/2018, 12:55 PM, "Macs R We" <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    >    Why not examine the folder hierarchy on your backup drive and inspect the individual folder names, which will tell you when each backup set was actually taken.  Then at least you will know which end of the process is misbehaving.
    >
    >> On Mar 5, 2018, at 9:26 AM, Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am running MacOSX 10.12.6 on a mid-2010 Mac Pro tower.  I just upgraded from Yosemite to Sierra, so that may be related.
    >>
    >> I installed a "new" hard drive and dedicated it to Time Machine.  It's only been running for about a day.  I opened the Time Machine app today and, as usual, there are the tick marks along the right side of the screen that show when the various backups were performed (when the mouse hovers over a given tick mark).  Ideally the backups are about an hour apart.  In my case, there are pairs of tick marks with the same time listed.  That is, the last two tick marks show exactly the same time, the next two tick marks also show the exact same time (though an hour earlier), and so on.  I don't know if two backups are being performed each hour, or if the listing is just messed up.  Has anyone seen this?  Does anyone know how to fix it?  Is there some preference file somewhere that is messed up?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any help you can give me,
    >>
    >> Gregg

    ---
    Entertaining minecraft videos
    http://YouTube.com/keybounce

Re: Time Machine duplicates

Macs R We
That's evocative…

In Time Machine's folders, there is always an alias (I think it's an alias, not a hard link) to the most recent backup, named something like Most Recent Backup.  I wonder if your Time Machine "client" is somehow tripping over this and counting that backup twice.