Startup Disk disagrees with restart options, and restart options is right

Startup Disk disagrees with restart options, and restart options is right

Michael Brian Bentley
I've had a heck of a time getting the Ts crossed and the eyes poked
(ow!) installing High Sierra on an internal OWD SSD and all the external
backup drives such that they all boot. i'm almost done. It's taken
several days. APFS has been a chore.

I have a 4TB external hard drive that has High Sierra installed, is an
HFS+/GUID drive. It shows up in Preferences>Startup Disk as bootable. It
does not show up in the restart options menu, and the MBP doesn't boot
from that drive when selected via Startup Disk.

Anyone know what's going on with this? Regrooving a 4TB drive is tedious.

Mike

Re: Startup Disk disagrees with restart options, and restart options is right

Macs R We
The whole APFS fire drill has been such a cluster*k.  According to experts, you're only supposed to use APFS on internal SSD drives, and nothing else.

That having been said, I have no idea why your external won't boot. I have an HFS+/GUID partitioned rotating external (one historical OS version per partition) and High Sierra boots from it just fine.

I sympathize with your plight, but I can't say I'm surprised by it.  I avoided upgrading to Sierra until High Sierra came out, and I may repeat that pattern with High Sierra.

On Feb 28, 2018, at 9:12 AM, Michael Brian Bentley <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've had a heck of a time getting the Ts crossed and the eyes poked (ow!) installing High Sierra on an internal OWD SSD and all the external backup drives such that they all boot. i'm almost done. It's taken several days. APFS has been a chore.

I have a 4TB external hard drive that has High Sierra installed, is an HFS+/GUID drive. It shows up in Preferences>Startup Disk as bootable. It does not show up in the restart options menu, and the MBP doesn't boot from that drive when selected via Startup Disk.

Anyone know what's going on with this? Regrooving a 4TB drive is tedious.

Mike

Re: Startup Disk disagrees with restart options, and restart options is right

David Schwartz-11
How about a complete description of the hardware being used?

@lbutlr
On Mar 1, 2018, at 01:28, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:
The whole APFS fire drill has been such a cluster*k.  According to experts, you're only supposed to use APFS on internal SSD drives, and nothing else.

My external SSDs are APFS and I've had no problems at all. One is a clean install of the current OS version and the other holds some large files I do no need to have on the boot partition, but still want to have on a fast drive (Game installs, mostly).

Stay away from APDFS on rotational drives for now, and quite possibly forever as all the real benefits of APFS require fast drives.

That said, snapshots and "virtual‚ÄĚpartitions are brilliant.

That having been said, I have no idea why your external won't boot. I have an HFS+/GUID partitioned rotating external (one historical OS version per partition) and High Sierra boots from it just fine.

Same. I am puzzled but that. If a drive shows up as bootable in the Startup Disk CP, it's generally bootable.

I'd probably try an over-the-top install of the current OS. Also, look at it in `diskutil list disk1`(command line) and see what its partitions look like.

(Disk1 being the line in question, could be disk4, etc). This is what mine looks like:

 $ diskutil list disk1
/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *3.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage DATA                    3.0 TB     disk1s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s3

--
My main job is trying to come up with new and innovative and effective ways to reject even more mail. I'm up to about 97% now.

Re: Startup Disk disagrees with restart options, and restart options is right

Macs R We

> On Mar 1, 2018, at 8:43 AM, LuKreme <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Same. I am puzzled but that. If a drive shows up as bootable in the Startup Disk CP, it's generally bootable.

I have seen such behavior before, but only rarely.

The test in Startup Disk only checks for a certain appropriate set of folders and the user-permissions bit on the volume, it obviously can't check for an uncorrupted system.  If the system is corrupted early enough in the boot path, I have seen a Mac abandon the boot process and choose another partition to boot from.  I'd second the over-the-top reinstall suggestion.

Re: Startup Disk disagrees with restart options, and restart options is right

Michael Brian Bentley
Having no other real solutions, nuke and pave is in that WD 4TB drive's
future.

I have an Early 2013 MBP (Retina) w 16GB Ram running High Sierra 10.13.3
now.

The internal ssd is an early OWC Aura 1TB. I have the old original Apple
ssd in the external aluminum case. Both have High Sierra and can boot.
It took a couple days to get that far.

I have three WD 2.5" Rotating Memory Drives [RMD] (My, how that old old
name has returned to haunt), an Ultra 4TB in a shiny case, and a 4TB and
2TB in those new black cases. The Ultra 4TB drive has a boot partition,
a Boot Camp partition and a Time Machine partition; it got corrupted
after a year of service so it's sitting there until everything else has
settled down. The 2TB drive is new, has just a bootable partition and
does boot, tho it can take a while (for as yet unknown reasons). That
apple progress bar crawls. The 2TB is I believe APFS.

The 4TB drive is new, and is HFS+. It was set up to be the second backup
drive to take over from the Ultra, and so has the boot partition, Boot
Camp backup, and Time Machine partition, but it doesn't boot.

According to OWC, my combination of 1TB OWC ssd and Retina MBP laptop is
the one combination that wasn't supposed to have weird problems that the
other combinations apparently have suffered from. I didn't need a
firmware update before installing High Sierra, and I'm not supposed to
be experiencing wacky slow behavior and odd problems with external
drives not booting when they should be able to.

I have a work machine that is about the same as the home machine, and
the drives behave the same, so I actually don't think the current
internal ssd is causing hiccups for boot time. The work machine is still
on Sierra.

More as I make it up. I'm now working on backing up the NTFS
partition(s) so I can wipe the drive(s).

Mike