Re-enabling low disk space notices

Michael_google gmail_Gersten
How do I re-enable notices of low disk space if they were turned off by accident?

10.9.5.

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce

Re: Re-enabling low disk space notices

Macs R We
Maybe I didn't get the memo, but I don't think that MacOS offers notices of low disk space.  Entirely out of space, I've seen for sure, but not low.  Perhaps you had some other tool (something like Onyx, Cocktail, Drive Genius, or whatever) that offered this feature and you deleted it?

In any event, I highly recommend the freeware tool GrandPerspective.  It has the most outlandish UI you've ever seen, but it takes about 10 seconds to grasp and then you wonder why it took the human race 30 years to come up with it.  It can often find weird behavior and hidden files that are causing problems that you don't even know about.   In the past quarter, I've used it to find an instance of the Gmail "unending recovered mail" problem, and a hidden (and eminently deletable) MacOS log that ws supposed to max out at 20M that was eating 12G.

There's also Daisy Disk, which is a little more powerful, though it's not free.

On 2018-01-28, at 12:22 PM, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe I didn't get the memo, but I don't think that MacOS offers notices of low disk space.  Entirely out of space, I've seen for sure, but not low.  Perhaps you had some other tool (something like Onyx, Cocktail, Drive Genius, or whatever) that offered this feature and you deleted it?

In 10.9.5, there is both a warning for low disk space, and a warning for out of disk space. Unfortunately, there is a tick box to prevent that message from coming back up again, and since all messages show up in approximately the same space, and since no one decided to disable buttons in a UI panel when it first shows up, you can be trying to hit one panel, another panel suddenly appears in front of you, and you have activated the wrong button in the wrong panel.

> In any event, I highly recommend the freeware tool GrandPerspective.  It has the most outlandish UI you've ever seen, but it takes about 10 seconds to grasp and then you wonder why it took the human race 30 years to come up with it.

I use an older version of Grand Perspective, that is read only with no ability to alter the file system, with support for Time Machine backups. (Specifically, ignoring multi-linked directories). I discovered that I have to set the set UID bit and make it owned by root in order for it to accurately read a Time Machine backup.

I do love the interface of it, and the way it displays files. I have no clue how to write that display myself.

>> On Jan 28, 2018, at 1:11 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> How do I re-enable notices of low disk space if they were turned off by accident?
>>
>> 10.9.5.
>>
>> ---
>> Entertaining minecraft videos
>> http://YouTube.com/keybounce

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce

Re: Re-enabling low disk space notices

Macs R We

> On Jan 28, 2018, at 9:49 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> since all messages show up in approximately the same space, and since no one decided to disable buttons in a UI panel when it first shows up, you can be trying to hit one panel, another panel suddenly appears in front of you, and you have activated the wrong button in the wrong panel.

On top of that, the dialog box that you DID click immediately disappears, and so you have no friggin' clue what it was you just did.  Terrible human interface.

> I discovered that I have to set the set UID bit and make it owned by root in order for it to accurately read a Time Machine backup.

On client machines, I have to remember to run it as root.  Sometimes people come in with machines that have multiple users on them, and they have no clue that this is the case, and sometimes that is where all the space hogging is happening.