Lost password

Michael_google gmail_Gersten
I just changed my password, and I thought I knew what I changed it to. However, I just had to type my password in again, and it did not work.

I am still logged in, but I have no access to my password. I have access to root. In the past, horrible errors with passwords have been fixed by simply editing the password file and setting the password to blank, and changing it again.

that approach no longer works. What can I do to recover my password?

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce

Re: Lost password

@lbutlr
On 16 Jan 2018, at 11:55, Michael <[hidden email]> rote:

> I am still logged in, but I have no access to my password. I have access to root. In the past, horrible errors with passwords have been fixed by simply editing the password file and setting the password to blank, and changing it again.
>
> that approach no longer works.

This is good, because it was never a good way to do this.

> What can I do to recover my password?

If you have access to root

# passwd <shortusername>

--
all your snowflakes are urine and you can't even find the cat

Re: Lost password

Michael_google gmail_Gersten
>> What can I do to recover my password?
>
> If you have access to root
>
> # passwd <shortusername>

Ack, I thought I had access to root. Oops.

---