Lost password

Michael_google gmail_Gersten
I just changed my password, and I thought I knew what I changed it to. However, I just had to type my password in again, and it did not work.

I am still logged in, but I have no access to my password. I have access to root. In the past, horrible errors with passwords have been fixed by simply editing the password file and setting the password to blank, and changing it again.

that approach no longer works. What can I do to recover my password?

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce

Re: Lost password

Michael_google gmail_Gersten
10.9.5 (audio driver issues).

Wha happened: I have a macbook pro 15 inch reina. I am sufferin from a bulin baer, and my rackpad sopped workin a while back. My "ee" key sopped workin abou 2 monhs ao.

oday, my "ee" key also sopped (efhi ... rsuv). Since I have a "ee" in my password, I needed o chane i before I was locked ou.

I chaned i wih sysem preferences, all was ood, excep ha I ried o use SMB. Enerin my new password did no work. I ried o re-ener i on he compuer, bu now he sysem said I did no ener i correcly.

So ... I don' have a ypable admin password, I don' have an acive sudo erminal session, and unless a recovery boo will le me rese a password, I'm in rouble.

What happened: I have a MacBook Pro 15 inch retina. I'm suffering from a bulging battery, my trackpad stopped working a while back. My T key stopped working about two months ago.

Today, my G key also stopped. Since I have a G in my password, I need to change it before I was locked out.

I changed it with system preferences, all was good, except That I tried to use SMB. Enter my new password did not work. I tried to reenter it on the computer, but now the system said I did not enter it correctly.

So, I don't have a typeable admin password (*), I don't have an active sudu terminal session, and unless a recovery boot let me reset a password, I'm in trouble.

I make heavy use of voice assist typing, but I discovered that when it comes to entering a password into a password field, I cannot use the paste operation -- It has to actually come from the keyboard.And at login, I have no usable keyboard other than the physical keyboard on the machine (No tablet keyboard or other virtual keyboard is usable).

(*): I do have a second admin account with a known password, but that password includes a dead key.

On 2018-01-16, at 2:55 PM, Charles Lindauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Recovery depends on what operating system you’re on. Let us know and we can help.
>
> I ran into a similar situation a few days ago, and what happened was the user had somehow started using the German keyboard settings. When corrected to English, the old password worked.
>
> In any case, we need a little more info to help.
>
> Charles Lindauer
> Lindauer Mac Consulting
> 707.479.6170
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Jan 16, 2018, at 10:55 AM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I just changed my password, and I thought I knew what I changed it to. However, I just had to type my password in again, and it did not work.
>>
>> I am still logged in, but I have no access to my password. I have access to root. In the past, horrible errors with passwords have been fixed by simply editing the password file and setting the password to blank, and changing it again.
>>
>> that approach no longer works. What can I do to recover my password?
>>
>> ---
>> Entertaining minecraft videos
>> http://YouTube.com/keybounce

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce

Re: Lost password

Macs R We
The "I don't know my password problem" is nontrivial to solve.

The "I don't have a reliable keyboard" problem is trivially solvable by plugging in a cheap USB keyboard.

On Jan 16, 2018, at 6:05 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Jean-Christophe Helary

> On Jan 17, 2018, at 3:58, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Passwords can't be recovered.  They can be reset, but doing so abandons every subsidiary password stored in your keychain (websites, banks, etc.) unless and until you remember what the password was before you reset it.

For some reason I did have to dump my whole keychain and in deed it was a pain to recreate everything but it was also a good opportunity to change all my old passwords at once.

Jean-Christophe Helary

Re: Lost password

Macs R We
On Jan 16, 2018, at 9:00 PM, Jean-Christophe Helary <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 17, 2018, at 3:58, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:

Passwords can't be recovered.  They can be reset, but doing so abandons every subsidiary password stored in your keychain (websites, banks, etc.) unless and until you remember what the password was before you reset it.

For some reason I did have to dump my whole keychain and in deed it was a pain to recreate everything but it was also a good opportunity to change all my old passwords at once.

The reason isn't so mysterious — it's that the default keychain is encrypted with your login password.  So if you lose your login password, you lose access to your entire keychain.

Here I would like to recommend my brief guide to good password management and mechanisms.

Re: Lost password

Jean-Christophe Helary

> On Jan 17, 2018, at 13:08, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> For some reason I did have to dump my whole keychain and in deed it was a pain to recreate everything but it was also a good opportunity to change all my old passwords at once.
>
> The reason isn't so mysterious — it's that the default keychain is encrypted with your login password.  So if you lose your login password, you lose access to your entire keychain.

If was not a case of lost login pw, hence the "for some reason". I'm just talking about the following "other pw recovering" step.

Jean-Christophe Helary