Help with no swap space please.

Michael_google gmail_Gersten
My system log is showing me things like this:

Mar 11 19:20:35 keybounceMBP kernel[0]: low swap: suspending pid 14091 (firefox)
Mar 11 19:20:35 keybounceMBP kernel[0]: low swap: suspending pid 936 (Dragon Dictate)
Mar 11 19:20:35 keybounceMBP kernel[0]: memorystatus_thread: idle exiting pid 96 [wdhelper]
Mar 11 19:20:35 keybounceMBP kernel[0]: (default pager): [KERNEL]: Swap File Error.

My boot-args  is  just
boot-args       -v -s

I have approximately 2 GB of compressed space, and zero bytes of swap used.

bash-3.2# ls /var/vm
total 1114112
  65536 swapfile0       1048576 swapfile1
bash-3.2#

The system is able to allocate swap files, but for some reason is refusing to use them. Also, in the past I moved away from compressed swap to "just go directly to swap files" because I discovered that my system would consistently wind up with about 10 GB of compressed space, leaving with only 6 GB of working space. I recently reset it to use the normal compressed swap because I'm no longer using the heavy workload that needed more than 6 GB of working space.

My old boot args was
boot-args       -v -s vm_compressor=1
and it worked fine until my boot partition ran out of space (At which point it died horrifically; in contrast, although the compressed swap setup won't use the swap file, and runs into trouble much much sooner, it is graceful and the "out of memory panel" actually works.)

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce

Re: Help with no swap space please.

Macs R We
Hm.  Have you tried using Sierra Cache Cleaner (they have one for every OS name, just Google yours) in deep clean mode?

On 2018-03-11, at 7:40 PM, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hm.  Have you tried using Sierra Cache Cleaner (they have one for every OS name, just Google yours) in deep clean mode?

No. What's the name of 10.9.5? (And why did they skip from nice, meaningful numbers to meaningless names?)

>> On Mar 11, 2018, at 8:37 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> My system log is showing me things like this:
>>
>> Mar 11 19:20:35 keybounceMBP kernel[0]: low swap: suspending pid 14091 (firefox)
>> Mar 11 19:20:35 keybounceMBP kernel[0]: low swap: suspending pid 936 (Dragon Dictate)
>> Mar 11 19:20:35 keybounceMBP kernel[0]: memorystatus_thread: idle exiting pid 96 [wdhelper]
>> Mar 11 19:20:35 keybounceMBP kernel[0]: (default pager): [KERNEL]: Swap File Error.
>>
>> My boot-args  is  just
>> boot-args       -v -s
>>
>> I have approximately 2 GB of compressed space, and zero bytes of swap used.
>>
>> bash-3.2# ls /var/vm
>> total 1114112
>> 65536 swapfile0       1048576 swapfile1
>> bash-3.2#
>>
>> The system is able to allocate swap files, but for some reason is refusing to use them. Also, in the past I moved away from compressed swap to "just go directly to swap files" because I discovered that my system would consistently wind up with about 10 GB of compressed space, leaving with only 6 GB of working space. I recently reset it to use the normal compressed swap because I'm no longer using the heavy workload that needed more than 6 GB of working space.
>>
>> My old boot args was
>> boot-args       -v -s vm_compressor=1
>> and it worked fine until my boot partition ran out of space (At which point it died horrifically; in contrast, although the compressed swap setup won't use the swap file, and runs into trouble much much sooner, it is graceful and the "out of memory panel" actually works.)
>>
>> ---
>> Entertaining minecraft videos
>> http://YouTube.com/keybounce

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce

Re: Help with no swap space please.

Macs R We
Mavericks.  It's a third-party tool, it's always had the name in it.

> On Mar 11, 2018, at 8:42 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 2018-03-11, at 7:40 PM, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hm.  Have you tried using Sierra Cache Cleaner (they have one for every OS name, just Google yours) in deep clean mode?
>
> No. What's the name of 10.9.5? (And why did they skip from nice, meaningful numbers to meaningless names?)
>

>>> On Mar 11, 2018, at 8:37 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> My system log is showing me things like this:
>>>
>>> Mar 11 19:20:35 keybounceMBP kernel[0]: low swap: suspending pid 14091 (firefox)
>>> Mar 11 19:20:35 keybounceMBP kernel[0]: low swap: suspending pid 936 (Dragon Dictate)
>>> Mar 11 19:20:35 keybounceMBP kernel[0]: memorystatus_thread: idle exiting pid 96 [wdhelper]
>>> Mar 11 19:20:35 keybounceMBP kernel[0]: (default pager): [KERNEL]: Swap File Error.
>>>
>>> My boot-args  is  just
>>> boot-args       -v -s
>>>
>>> I have approximately 2 GB of compressed space, and zero bytes of swap used.
>>>
>>> bash-3.2# ls /var/vm
>>> total 1114112
>>> 65536 swapfile0       1048576 swapfile1
>>> bash-3.2#
>>>
>>> The system is able to allocate swap files, but for some reason is refusing to use them. Also, in the past I moved away from compressed swap to "just go directly to swap files" because I discovered that my system would consistently wind up with about 10 GB of compressed space, leaving with only 6 GB of working space. I recently reset it to use the normal compressed swap because I'm no longer using the heavy workload that needed more than 6 GB of working space.
>>>
>>> My old boot args was
>>> boot-args       -v -s vm_compressor=1
>>> and it worked fine until my boot partition ran out of space (At which point it died horrifically; in contrast, although the compressed swap setup won't use the swap file, and runs into trouble much much sooner, it is graceful and the "out of memory panel" actually works.)
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Entertaining minecraft videos
>>> http://YouTube.com/keybounce

> ---
> Entertaining minecraft videos
> http://YouTube.com/keybounce

Re: Help with no swap space please.

Michael_google gmail_Gersten
Ok. Will  try, but after reading the description in the manual of what does, I'm not expecting  it to work.

On 2018-03-11, at 7:43 PM, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mavericks.  It's a third-party tool, it's always had the name in it.
>
>> On Mar 11, 2018, at 8:42 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On 2018-03-11, at 7:40 PM, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hm.  Have you tried using Sierra Cache Cleaner (they have one for every OS name, just Google yours) in deep clean mode?
>>
>> No. What's the name of 10.9.5? (And why did they skip from nice, meaningful numbers to meaningless names?)

>> ---
>> Entertaining minecraft videos
>> http://YouTube.com/keybounce

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce

Re: Help with no swap space please.

Michael_google gmail_Gersten
Or ...

My name came up as: launchctl: Couldn't stat("/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServicesLocal.plist"): No such file or directorynothing found to load Michael

Details say:
/usr/bin/sudo /bin/rm -rf
with no directory specified.

On 2018-03-11, at 7:59 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok. Will  try, but after reading the description in the manual of what does, I'm not expecting  it to work.
>
> On 2018-03-11, at 7:43 PM, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Mavericks.  It's a third-party tool, it's always had the name in it.

>>> No. What's the name of 10.9.5? (And why did they skip from nice, meaningful numbers to meaningless names?)

>>> ---
>>> Entertaining minecraft videos
>>> http://YouTube.com/keybounce
>>>

> ---