Fwd: antivirus/malware ?

Macs R We
I forgot – this mailing list is still configured such that replies never go back to the actual list. I do wish someone would change that.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Macs R We <[hidden email]>
Date: December 18, 2017 at 9:05:36 AM MST
To: Jean-Christophe Helary <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: antivirus/malware ?

I am a great fan of Malwarebytes. You can download it and run it manually for free, or you can pay the company for the privilege of having them continuously slow down your machine like every other anti-virus. It takes only about a minute real time to scan your entire machine, because it looks only for Macintosh malware, and not for the eight million PC viruses that you will never catch (on the theory that you should be a good Joe and not pass them on to some other PC user who also doesn’t run an antivirus – as far as I’m concerned that’s his problem not yours).

On Dec 18, 2017, at 3:14 AM, Jean-Christophe Helary <[hidden email]> wrote:

A client is kind of requesting that I install an anti-virus/malware on my mac...

Do you have any recommendation ? I checked the web already and it looks like Sophos does the job *and* is free...

Jean-Christophe Helary

Re: antivirus/malware ?

Carl Hoefs
I'll second that opinion. A friend of mine just had a very weird problem on his iMac. Malwarebytes found the issue and removed it. All with just a single run, and for free. (Personally, I didn’t even realize that there was Mac malware out there in the wild. I guess it must have been an email Trojan or some such.)  Out of curiosity, Malwarebytes didn’t show up anything when run on my own systems, but then I’m not experiencing any malware-related issues.

-Carl

On Dec 18, 2017, at 9:09 AM, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:

I forgot – this mailing list is still configured such that replies never go back to the actual list. I do wish someone would change that.

Begin forwarded message:

Re: antivirus/malware ?

Jean-Christophe Helary
Thank you all for the replies.

Considering the low probability that I get hit with something I think I'll use Malwarebytes for now. Sophos is already a pain when it wants to scan the 30 millions files or so on my system.

I just posted a suggestion on their feedback page:

Jean-Christophe

On Dec 19, 2017, at 5:03, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

ChazMac
Malwarebytes Free version is great for adware, but that’s about all it looks for. If you want to protect against the more serious threats, VirusBarrier seems to be the best bet according to the testing I’ve seen... which is some months out of date, admittedly.

Charles Lindauer
Lindauer Mac Consulting
707.479.6170
Sent from my iPad

On Dec 18, 2017, at 11:08 AM, Carl Hoefs <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'll second that opinion. A friend of mine just had a very weird problem on his iMac. Malwarebytes found the issue and removed it. All with just a single run, and for free. (Personally, I didn’t even realize that there was Mac malware out there in the wild. I guess it must have been an email Trojan or some such.)  Out of curiosity, Malwarebytes didn’t show up anything when run on my own systems, but then I’m not experiencing any malware-related issues.

-Carl

On Dec 18, 2017, at 9:09 AM, Macs R We <[hidden email]> wrote:

I forgot – this mailing list is still configured such that replies never go back to the actual list. I do wish someone would change that.

Begin forwarded message:

Re: antivirus/malware ?

Larry Gusaas-4
On 2017-12-18, 8:40 PM Charles Lindauer wrote:

> Malwarebytes Free version is great for adware, but that’s about all it looks for. If you want
> to protect against the more serious threats,

Which more serious threats???
I'm not aware of any that Apple's  XProtect, Gatekeeper, System Integrity Protection, and
Malware Removal Tool don't remove.

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada