BootCamp troubles

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

BootCamp troubles

@lbutlr
What is the "correct" way to switch from macOS to Windows using Bootcamp?

If I set the startup disk in macOS to Windows and reboot, I get Windows as expected. If I then use the bootcamp tray icon to "reboot to MacOS" I get Windows again. The only way I see to get back to MacOS is to use the option-boot to select the Mac partition.

Option-boot does work, but it appears the BootCamp boot option in windows doesn't do anything, so I suspect I am missing something?

--
No Sigs. Blame Apple.

_______________________________________________
MacOSX-talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BootCamp troubles

Macs R We
That's odd behavior indeed. You might want to search on the Windows side for the boot camp installer wizard and re-run it.  I can't provide any helpful details or locations because I migrated all my Boot Camp Windows OSes into Parallels VM files a few years ago to simplify the backup issues.

> On Dec 31, 2017, at 9:53 AM, @lbutlr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What is the "correct" way to switch from macOS to Windows using Bootcamp?
>
> If I set the startup disk in macOS to Windows and reboot, I get Windows as expected. If I then use the bootcamp tray icon to "reboot to MacOS" I get Windows again. The only way I see to get back to MacOS is to use the option-boot to select the Mac partition.
>
> Option-boot does work, but it appears the BootCamp boot option in windows doesn't do anything, so I suspect I am missing something?
>
> --
> No Sigs. Blame Apple.
>
> _______________________________________________
> MacOSX-talk mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-talk

_______________________________________________
MacOSX-talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BootCamp troubles

Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C]
In reply to this post by @lbutlr
I have only used Bootcamp a little, but I can confirm similar problems.

In my case, after booting back into MacOS with the option key, if I restart my Mac, it will try to boot into Windows again, unless I remember to go into the Preferences app and change the boot disk to my MacOS disk.  I say "try to boot into Windows again" because it always seems to hang when trying to start Windows after the first time. The only way that I have found to boot into Windows (after once getting out of Windows) is to set the boot disk to my MacOS disk, boot into MacOS, and then go back and change the boot disk to Bootcamp.  Only then will it successfully boot into Windows.

I hardly ever do anything in Windows, but although it's a pain to successfully boot into Windows, it seems to work fine (as far as I can tell) after Windows boots.

Gregg

-----Original Message-----
From: "@lbutlr" <[hidden email]>
Date: Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 11:54 AM
To: Mac OS X-Talk <[hidden email]>
Subject: BootCamp troubles

What is the "correct" way to switch from macOS to Windows using Bootcamp?

If I set the startup disk in macOS to Windows and reboot, I get Windows as expected. If I then use the bootcamp tray icon to "reboot to MacOS" I get Windows again. The only way I see to get back to MacOS is to use the option-boot to select the Mac partition.

Option-boot does work, but it appears the BootCamp boot option in windows doesn't do anything, so I suspect I am missing something?


_______________________________________________
MacOSX-talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BootCamp troubles

Macs R We
The question here is, how did you get it to boot into Windows in the first place?  If you did it by changing the boot disk in System Preferences, then your first sentence is entirely proper operation.  If you did it "temporarily" via the option key, then it shouldn't have gotten set permanently to Windows in System Preferences and it should be automatically booting into MacOS.

All this stuff is stored in the PRAM, so maybe you can get rid of this misbehavior just by zapping the PRAM.  It isn't a problem everybody else is seeing.


> On Jan 1, 2018, at 1:38 PM, Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have only used Bootcamp a little, but I can confirm similar problems.
>
> In my case, after booting back into MacOS with the option key, if I restart my Mac, it will try to boot into Windows again, unless I remember to go into the Preferences app and change the boot disk to my MacOS disk.  I say "try to boot into Windows again" because it always seems to hang when trying to start Windows after the first time. The only way that I have found to boot into Windows (after once getting out of Windows) is to set the boot disk to my MacOS disk, boot into MacOS, and then go back and change the boot disk to Bootcamp.  Only then will it successfully boot into Windows.
>
> I hardly ever do anything in Windows, but although it's a pain to successfully boot into Windows, it seems to work fine (as far as I can tell) after Windows boots.
>
> Gregg
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: "@lbutlr" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 11:54 AM
> To: Mac OS X-Talk <[hidden email]>
> Subject: BootCamp troubles
>
> What is the "correct" way to switch from macOS to Windows using Bootcamp?
>
> If I set the startup disk in macOS to Windows and reboot, I get Windows as expected. If I then use the bootcamp tray icon to "reboot to MacOS" I get Windows again. The only way I see to get back to MacOS is to use the option-boot to select the Mac partition.
>
> Option-boot does work, but it appears the BootCamp boot option in windows doesn't do anything, so I suspect I am missing something?
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> MacOSX-talk mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-talk

_______________________________________________
MacOSX-talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BootCamp troubles

@lbutlr
On 1 Jan 2018, at 13:53, Macs R We [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> All this stuff is stored in the PRAM, so maybe you can get rid of this misbehavior just by zapping the PRAM.  It isn't a problem everybody else is seeing.

It does seem that the "proper" way to switch is to use the option-boot, and that the startup disk setting should be left alone at the setting you want to be the default.

Can't say I like it much, though, but it's hardly a pressing issue.

--
"Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand kicked 200,000 Jews out of Spain, one
of the first acts of the Spanish Inquisition, which no one ever expects
" -- John Carroll's 21st Annual Xmas Quiz answers

_______________________________________________
MacOSX-talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BootCamp troubles

Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C]
In reply to this post by Macs R We
Thanks for the information.

To answer your question, I first got my MacPro to boot into Windows by changing the boot disk in System Preferences. I agree with you that the expected behavior is to keep booting into Windows until the boot disk in System Preferences is changed.

My complaint is that although the MacPro tries to boot into Windows, it seems to get stuck before Windows finishes booting. At that point, I power down and use the option key to boot into MacOS. The only way I found to successfully boot into Windows is to first boot into MacOS and then switch the boot disk to Windows. And this only works for one boot cycle -- if I try to reboot into Windows again, it hangs.

Maybe I'll try zapping the PRAM. Is that still command-option-P-R? What do I lose by doing this? Do I lose a lot of settings and/or preferences?

Thanks,

Gregg

-----Original Message-----
From: Macs R We <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday, January 1, 2018 at 3:53 PM
To: "Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C]" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "@lbutlr" <[hidden email]>, Mac OS X-Talk <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: BootCamp troubles

The question here is, how did you get it to boot into Windows in the first place?  If you did it by changing the boot disk in System Preferences, then your first sentence is entirely proper operation.  If you did it "temporarily" via the option key, then it shouldn't have gotten set permanently to Windows in System Preferences and it should be automatically booting into MacOS.

All this stuff is stored in the PRAM, so maybe you can get rid of this misbehavior just by zapping the PRAM.  It isn't a problem everybody else is seeing.

> On Jan 1, 2018, at 1:38 PM, Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have only used Bootcamp a little, but I can confirm similar problems.
>
> In my case, after booting back into MacOS with the option key, if I restart my Mac, it will try to boot into Windows again, unless I remember to go into the Preferences app and change the boot disk to my MacOS disk.  I say "try to boot into Windows again" because it always seems to hang when trying to start Windows after the first time. The only way that I have found to boot into Windows (after once getting out of Windows) is to set the boot disk to my MacOS disk, boot into MacOS, and then go back and change the boot disk to Bootcamp.  Only then will it successfully boot into Windows.
>
> I hardly ever do anything in Windows, but although it's a pain to successfully boot into Windows, it seems to work fine (as far as I can tell) after Windows boots.
>
> Gregg
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: "@lbutlr" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 11:54 AM
> To: Mac OS X-Talk <[hidden email]>
> Subject: BootCamp troubles
>
> What is the "correct" way to switch from macOS to Windows using Bootcamp?
>
> If I set the startup disk in macOS to Windows and reboot, I get Windows as expected. If I then use the bootcamp tray icon to "reboot to MacOS" I get Windows again. The only way I see to get back to MacOS is to use the option-boot to select the Mac partition.
>
> Option-boot does work, but it appears the BootCamp boot option in windows doesn't do anything, so I suspect I am missing something?


_______________________________________________
MacOSX-talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BootCamp troubles

Macs R We


> On Jan 2, 2018, at 10:36 AM, Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My complaint is that although the MacPro tries to boot into Windows, it seems to get stuck before Windows finishes booting. At that point, I power down and use the option key to boot into MacOS. The only way I found to successfully boot into Windows is to first boot into MacOS and then switch the boot disk to Windows. And this only works for one boot cycle -- if I try to reboot into Windows again, it hangs.

At the risk of committing a Redmond Heresy, consider that the problem may be in your installation of Windows. But I would try zapping the pram first.

> Maybe I'll try zapping the PRAM. Is that still command-option-P-R? What do I lose by doing this? Do I lose a lot of settings and/or preferences?

I’ve never lost anything that I noticed losing, other than the stored boot device, which in this case is the point. In the old days it would lose your clock setting until you manually reset it, and it still resets that, but today it’s all set over the network anyway, so you don’t even notice that.
_______________________________________________
MacOSX-talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BootCamp troubles

Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C]
Hi,

Just to follow up, I did try zapping the PRAM, but that did not help.

If the boot disk is set to Windows, I can only successfully boot one time; all subsequent reboots fail. The only work around that I have found is to use the option key to boot into MacOSX, switch the boot disk from Windows to MacOSX, and then switch the boot disk back to Windows. Then I can successfully boot into Windows (but only once before having to do the work around again).

As you suggested, it is certainly possible that there is a problem with my installation of Windows. And, if there is, it may well be something that I messed up. However, once booted into Windows, all seems fine (as far as this Windows newbie can tell).

I had been using Windows 7, but yesterday I bought Windows 10, so I might try re-installing Bootcamp and Windows 10.

Thanks for the help.

Gregg

-----Original Message-----
From: Macs R We <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 1:37 PM
To: "Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C]" <[hidden email]>
Cc: Mac OS X-Talk <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: BootCamp troubles

> On Jan 2, 2018, at 10:36 AM, Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My complaint is that although the MacPro tries to boot into Windows, it seems to get stuck before Windows finishes booting. At that point, I power down and use the option key to boot into MacOS. The only way I found to successfully boot into Windows is to first boot into MacOS and then switch the boot disk to Windows. And this only works for one boot cycle -- if I try to reboot into Windows again, it hangs.

At the risk of committing a Redmond Heresy, consider that the problem may be in your installation of Windows. But I would try zapping the pram first.

> Maybe I'll try zapping the PRAM. Is that still command-option-P-R? What do I lose by doing this? Do I lose a lot of settings and/or preferences?

I’ve never lost anything that I noticed losing, other than the stored boot device, which in this case is the point. In the old days it would lose your clock setting until you manually reset it, and it still resets that, but today it’s all set over the network anyway, so you don’t even notice that.


_______________________________________________
MacOSX-talk mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/macosx-talk