Bind on macOS

@lbutlr
has anyone tried to run Bind under macOS 10.13. Since I have a fixed IP at home I wanted to setup a slave DNS for my servers, but when I try to start bind I get

# rndc reload
rndc: connect failed: 127.0.0.1#953: connection refused

There's no bind/named process running. Does macOS have a default caching DNS listening on ports 53/953?

Re: Bind on macOS

Carl Hoefs
You might try looking in your 10.13 /etc/services file.

On 10.12, there is the DNS server listening on port 53:

  domain           53/udp     # Domain Name Server
  domain           53/tcp     # Domain Name Server

...but nothing at port 953.

-Carl

On 22 Feb 2018, at 19:21, Glenn Carnagey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> PORT 953 is RNDC (remote name daemon control), CLI for BIND.

sudo lsof -n -i:953 | grep LISTEN

Shows nothing listening to port 953, but I still can’t start bind.

I finally got bind to start, but it is not loading zones from the master (using an identical file as from the working slave server with only the paths for macOS updated).

I also can’t find where bind is logging and rndc doesn’t work at all (I have to use sudo brew services bind (re)start)

I also cannot find where named is logging.

--
If women wear a pair of pants, a pair of glasses, and a pair of
earrings, why don't they wear a pair of bras?