Applying compression to a file/directory tree?

Applying compression to a file/directory tree?

Michael_google gmail_Gersten
So apparently, HFS file systems can transparently compress files.

Is there a command to let users compress, or check on the compressed status, of files/directories?

Assume, for example, that I have a large directory tree of almost exclusively read-only stuff that I would not mind being compressed to save space.

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce

Re: Applying compression to a file/directory tree?

Karl Kuehn-3
There is a third-party utility for this: `afsctool`

https://brkirch.wordpress.com/afsctool/

I knew it worked way back around 10.6, but have not played with it since then, so don’t know what kinks there might be with later versions of the OS.

I also have a vague memory that this only works on binary executables (so no media files or scripts), as the magic to auto-decompress (from the resource fork) is only setup for executables. But that is an old memory, so might well be wrong.