2 bootcamp questions

Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C]
Hi,

1. Does bootcamp require its own separate hard drive, or can it be installed on one partition of a drive with several partitions?

I think I tried using one of several partitions in the past and it did not work, though my memory is fuzzy. If it is possible to use a partition, the previous failure may have been user error, since I am not very experienced with this.

2. If partitions work, can I install bootcamp with Windows 7 on one partition and bootcamp with Windows 10 on a second partition? Or is only one bootcamp setup allowed?

I don't really plan to use Windows of any flavor very often, but if I'm going to the trouble of installing bootcamp and Windows, I thought I might as well try to install both Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Gregg

Re: 2 bootcamp questions

Charles Dyer

> On 17Jan 2018, at 18:27 , Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> 1. Does bootcamp require its own separate hard drive, or can it be installed on one partition of a drive with several partitions?

Bootcamp works with just two partitions: one Mac, one Windows. Try for more and it gets confused.

> I think I tried using one of several partitions in the past and it did not work, though my memory is fuzzy. If it is possible to use a partition, the previous failure may have been user error, since I am not very experienced with this.
>
> 2. If partitions work, can I install bootcamp with Windows 7 on one partition and bootcamp with Windows 10 on a second partition? Or is only one bootcamp setup allowed?

Bootcamp will work with one version of Windows. just one. The current shipping Bootcamp Windows drivers are for Win 10. You will have a problem with Win 7, and would probably have to get an older version... which might not work with current versions of macOS

> I don't really plan to use Windows of any flavor very often, but if I'm going to the trouble of installing bootcamp and Windows, I thought I might as well try to install both Windows 7 and Windows 10.

May I suggest getting VMWare, or Parallels, or Virtual Box, or some other VM? Then you can have as many installs of Windows,. Linux, whatever, as you like.

> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
> Gregg

Re: 2 bootcamp questions

@lbutlr
On 17 Jan 2018, at 16:27, Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C] [hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1. Does bootcamp require its own separate hard drive, or can it be installed on one partition of a drive with several partitions?

It is only supported as a second partition on the boot drive. I don't think you are allowed to further partition, but that might have changed with APFS.

> 2. If partitions work, can I install bootcamp with Windows 7 on one partition and bootcamp with Windows 10 on a second partition? Or is only one bootcamp setup allowed?

Only one per boot drive, as I recall.

> I don't really plan to use Windows of any flavor very often, but if I'm going to the trouble of installing bootcamp and Windows, I thought I might as well try to install both Windows 7 and Windows 10.

If you aren't going to use Windows much, why install it in bootcamp?

Use WINE, most things work, and you don't lose tens of GB to it. Short of that, VirtualBox is cheap (as in free) and you can offload the virtual drives to other storage rather than eating your boot drive.

In nearly all cases when someone thinks they want to run Bootcamp, they're wrong. Nearly.

--
"I used to hate the sun, because it'd shone on everything I'd done. Made
me feel that all that I had done was overfill the ashtray of my life."

Re: 2 bootcamp questions

Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C]
Hi,

Thanks for responding. From you and a few others, I have learned several things about bootcamp.

1. It sounds like bootcamp is only meant to be installed on the primary boot drive.

2. It sounds like only 2 partitions are allowed -- one for MacOSX and one for Windows.

3. If possible, a virtual Windows setup is preferred.

In case it matters, the computer in question is a "mid 2012" Mac Pro tower running 10.10.5 (Yosemite).

Due to my ignorance, I installed bootcamp on a secondary drive. My primary drive is an SSD with a single partition (for Yosemite). In addition to the SSD, I have several hard drives, one of which I used for bootcamp (and Windows 7). I believe that when I installed bootcamp many months ago, I tried to install it on one of several partitions and failed, though I do not recall the details. I think my next step (no pun intended) was to allocate the entire secondary drive to bootcamp and it worked, sort of.

I say "sort of" because there was at least one problem. Once booted into Windows 7, things seemed to work (though I do not know much about Windows). However, if I tried to reboot into Windows, it would hang just before the login screen. The only way I found to successfully reboot into Windows was to first boot into MacOSX (using the option key) and then go into System Preferences and change the boot drive from Windows to MacOSX and then back to Windows again.

Perhaps the reason for this problem is related to bootcamp not being installed on the second of two partitions on my primary boot drive. I did not realize that I was not supposed to install bootcamp on a secondary (internal) drive, though it's interesting that it "sort of" worked.

In fairness, I did originally try to use Parallels 11, but I could not accomplish what I set out to do. I believe this all started because I wanted to run some low-level disk formatting software that was Windows only (Western Digital's Data LifeGuard and Seagate's SeaTools). I tried doing this via Parallels, but I was unsuccessful, though again I do not remember the details. Maybe I will start fresh, this time with Parallels 11 and Windows 10, and see if it works now.

I would like to thank everyone for their help. I really appreciate it.

Gregg

On 17 Jan 2018, at 16:27, Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C] [hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1. Does bootcamp require its own separate hard drive, or can it be installed on one partition of a drive with several partitions?

It is only supported as a second partition on the boot drive. I don't think you are allowed to further partition, but that might have changed with APFS.

> 2. If partitions work, can I install bootcamp with Windows 7 on one partition and bootcamp with Windows 10 on a second partition? Or is only one bootcamp setup allowed?

Only one per boot drive, as I recall.

> I don't really plan to use Windows of any flavor very often, but if I'm going to the trouble of installing bootcamp and Windows, I thought I might as well try to install both Windows 7 and Windows 10.

If you aren't going to use Windows much, why install it in bootcamp?

Use WINE, most things work, and you don't lose tens of GB to it. Short of that, VirtualBox is cheap (as in free) and you can offload the virtual drives to other storage rather than eating your boot drive.

In nearly all cases when someone thinks they want to run Bootcamp, they're wrong. Nearly.

Re: 2 bootcamp questions

Macs R We
I'm not surprised that the really low-level hardware-accessing stuff might not run properly from Parallels.  It is, after all, an emulation box.

I originally installed Boot Camp because I needed to run comm tools (commercial router initialization and boot servers) that I thought would be too low-level for Parallels, but Parallels turned out to handle it admirably.  I ended up using the Boot Camp partition from Parallels almost exclusively, and finally used the Parallels tool to pull the partition into a Mac VM file to eliminate the pain of having to maintain two distinct backup regimens.

Parallels offers the ability to completely usurp devices (including drives) from the Mac OS for exclusive use, so I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the low-level stuff may actually run at this point.  I suspect if you gave them a phone call and asked specifically if some named tool ran they could tell you.

On 18 Jan 2018, at 09:12, Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I believe this all started because I wanted to run some low-level disk formatting software that was Windows only (Western Digital's Data LifeGuard and Seagate's SeaTools). I tried doing this via Parallels, but I was unsuccessful, though again I do not remember the details. Maybe I will start fresh, this time with Parallels 11 and Windows 10, and see if it works now.

This is doable via VirtualBox for sure, though the instructions are a little different than simply running a windows virtual machine.

Basically, you have to make sure the virtual machine has a low-level (block level) version of the drive it can access. I am sure it is possible in Parallels or Fusion as well.

I've used this to run Spinrite on drives attached to my iMac, for example; that is about as low-level as it is possible to get.

--
NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR FROM MY ARMPITS Bart chalkboard Ep. 3F01